Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I love Alaska because.....

So my friends the time has come for my last post from North Pole, Alaska. The past ten weeks have been a really big learning opportunity for Travis and he put in about 480 hours of physical therapy work. Only if it wasn't free slave labor:) I have learned a lot too, and I have enjoyed blogging about our adventures here. We have met so many wonderful people and made good friends. It will be hard to say goodbye, but we know it's time to come home and do it all again. Isn't it wonderful to know that where ever you go you have the chance to meet new people, experience new things, and grow in new ways? We are excited. Although, I am not too excited about the triple digit temperatures that await us. I wore a sweater and scarf today! None the less, here are our favorite things about North Pole, Alaska.

1. Santa is your neighbor and you may get asked to put on an Elf costume.

2. The locals are very proud of their town and the Christmas spirit even in the middle of the summer.

3. I get to say, " I know him!"
4. They make sparklers Alaska size (36" long)

5. You're friends and neighbors have big toys in their backyards. (love this family!)

6. And their children are willing to do this.
7. Your town has a customized board game.

And you could be Ebenezer Scrooge.
8. You can make a late night walk to the grocery store at 10:00 pm and have it look like this.
9. Your town is very proud of it's name and you may get asked directions to Santa's house while walking to the store.
10. You can have free fresh flowers every week courtesy of the roadside.
Peony not on the roadside but still beautiful.
11. You have the urge to stop and take pictures of every candy cane you see (united states post office).






That's it folks. I could keep going. We have had so much fun and couldn't have asked for a better way to start a marriage, thousands of miles away from anyone we know with no one to rely on but each other. We were well taken care of here and had a blast everywhere we went.

 With each bloom a bit of summer slips away. Once the blooms reach the top winter is on its way. 

The fireweed has spoken and it's time to go home to enjoy the rest of a hot summer.

1 comment:

  1. Jess you are too funny. I have loved reading all your posts. I need to get on my blog more often. Your future kids will have a blast perusing your blog. Alaska sounds fabulous. Congratulations on getting married! You and Travis appear to be having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete